Our history

Our story is not just our own, it is a reflection of the economic development of Hong Kong and the growth of the Asia-Pacific region. Here are the major highlights of our achievements over the past century.

CLP's first power station at the junction of present-day Chatham Road and Princess Margaret Road

CLP's first power station at the junction of present-day Chatham Road and Princess Margaret Road.

1901
  • On 25 January, China Light & Power Company Syndicate was incorporated in Hong Kong. The maximum demand for electricity in the year was 1/10MW
1903
  • The first power station with a generating capacity of 75kW was commissioned on Chatham Road, Hunghom.
1919
  • CLP started to supply power for street lighting in Kowloon.